Friday, December 24, 2010

Day CVlll


Free at last

     They avoided having to send me to another base, because by the time I got settled my time would be up. So they let me go, and I got my honorable discharge. I came home with a two and a half pack a day nicotine jones.

     When I got back smokes were about .75 cents a pack. So I cut down to about a pack and a half a day, and eventually to a pack a day. Prices kept going up, and I remember thinking that if they ever went up to a buck, I would quit.

     My family, my pals they all thought I smoked too much. But they hadn’t been through what I had been through. They hadn’t walked in my shoes, so they didn’t know. You grow a lot after four years in the military, you learn real quick not to take anybody’s bullshit. So I guess a lot of peeps may have seen me in a negative light. I wasn’t the same kid who went off to work for Uncle Sam. No, I was a full grown man who smoked an awful lot.

     The first thing I did when I got back was to lose all my military gear. One cold winter morning I got up, gathered all my air force issue, and stuffed it into my duffle bag. There were several pairs of shoes, some brand new; my brogans, fatigues, dress blues, khakis; my heavy dress blues; my heavy wool overcoat; the whole lot of  it. I dragged the bag down the stairs, marched to the corner city trash can, and dumped it. Good riddance I was free at last indeed. At the time there wasn’t a lot of respect or appreciation for vets. Some cats at airports, returning home, were even spat at or had garbage thrown at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment