Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day CVll


Out at last

     You see depending on your rank, they also give you a bonus of several thousand spendoodits, man. It’s no big deal to them, it’s money they save by not having to train somebody else to take your place, to do your job. He looked at me with a big dumb ass smile, and asked:

      “So, tell us, what are you going to doooo?”

I spelled it out loud, very clear, and very slowly… “I want O U T, suh!”

    Somehow I felt I got even for the way I was treated by him, that day back in Texas, when that stupid Gerber effed up the computer. I got passed over for promotion. I paid for what that dumb ass idiot did. They treated me as if I had done it. What goes around comes around, though that was little recompense for what I went through because of it.

     At that moment guys silently chuckled, and I could see he was pissed. But hey, he asked for it. If he had asked me in private I would have been more civil, but he didn’t. So he looked at the next guy, and asked him. He and I weren’t on the best of terms, anyway. He had been my captain back in Texas, and I was surprised to find him being my captain again. At long last we were parting ways, I was going home.

     The flight back was the same as the one I came in on, and no less nerve wracking. I just couldn’t get over all those cats getting on that plane. There must have been over a thousand dudes on that plane. No kidding!

     When we got back to Travis AB, I mustered out. I had another six months to go, before my four year commitment was up, but for Uncle Sam’s convenience, they let me go.

     “Halleluja! I was going home!”

No comments:

Post a Comment